Thursday 17 January 2013

Martin schoeller


Martin Schoeller internet research: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Schoeller

·         He was born in Munich, Germany, but he’s based in new York.
·         He treats his models the same way, if they are a celebrity or not
·         His work is recognisable because he uses the same back drops and lighting for all of his portraits
·         He came to new York as an assistant for Annie Leibovite from 1993 to 1996 but left to start his freelance work
·         teNeues published a book of his portraits in 2005 called ‘Close up: portraits 1998-2005 and ‘Female bodybuilders’ which was published by Pond Press in 2008
·         Schoeller’s influences include photographers like ‘August Sander, Bernd Becher and Hilla Becher





      I found Martins work when I was looking at Jill Greenberg’s work. I like it because it’s a change from the typical styles that you think of when you hear the style portraiture. Its bright look and low contrasting light wasn’t something I considered doing when I initially read the brief but it’s probably a good avenue to research.





This is the light setup used by Martin Schoeller














      This video shows an example of one of his shoots with a bodybuilder.
It’s hard to say what my favourite image is because they are pretty much all the same however I think I prefer the ones that have a gradient to the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment