Thursday 17 January 2013

Angus Mc Bean

 Angus Mc Bean 
 Book research: Angus Mc Bean Portraits…. National portrait gallery publications   

After looking through the book I am definitely a fan of his work but only after the thirties. I think this is because he focuses more on the person in the picture rather than building up the scene around them beyond this point. I think my favourite picture in the book is the picture of Margot Fonteyn, 1951 page 79. I think it’s great because as soon as I looked at it I was drawn to the face in the middle of the picture which is amazing considering that there’s a massive pair of the legs in the foreground of the picture. After looking at it while you realise how this happens. To start with the legs act like a frame, and in this case with the model in the centre. Secondly, her dark dress makes her stand out against the white background which makes her the most noticeable feature in the frame.

I also like the picture of Christopher Fry, 1950 page 90. I like it because it’s a completely natural looking pose and the lighting provides a soft range of tones throughout his face. This soft look is enhanced by the contrasting clothes and their harsh texture. It’s also helped by the large dark space behind the subject

After completing this research I think I should spend more time planning the ways I make the models pose because it’s clear that Angus McBean has done this, which could  be the key to his success.  



No comments:

Post a Comment